Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Breaking the silence: Days 4-7

Hi guys, sorry about not updating in a while, I've been fairly busy with AIESEC stuff. On Thursday (Day 4) I had to prepare a presentation for all the AIESECers in Armenia about the UK. So I spent the afternoon doing that. It went down quite well, and after I introduced them to a new AIESEC Dance:




Friday

Today was spent sorting out various AIESEC Bristol things, sending emails, writing business plans and generally planning and scheming. I also had a wonder around Yerevan, having a look at a few nice places.

Saturday

Today I had quite a busy day. I got up with Ishxan to go and visit the bank where he works. It is quite a nice building with air conditioning near the city center, so I think he is doing quite well. The only issue is new employees in Armenia have to work very long hours, and often on Saturday too. Apparently there is an issue with lots of workers becoming ill from working too hard and having to retire early.

After seeing the bank I went up to the AIESEC office to meet the MC* who gave me my brief for the summer.

I will be in charge of setting up AIESEC Rau (the Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University), a new LC* in Armenia. I have a team picked by the MC, and two months to get us to LC status. I have some very good AIESECers on side, so I am confident we can manage it.

The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent coming up with a plan for the LC. After that I went to a birthday party of an old AIESECer Nune, which was at a karaoke bar. Everyone had a lot of fun, and it turns out that Ishxan is a very good singer!

Sunday

Today was the first meeting of AIESEC Rau, at the secondary school attached to the university where our office is located. I got to meet lots of new members, as well as Laura, who is here from Australia on an AIESEC exchange.

Some of the RAU members

I did a presentation, explaining my plans, and we worked out which group everyone is going to be in. We will hopefully increase recruitment over the next few days to get more members involved in AIESEC.

After that I went home for a nap, before more planning, and another delicious meal from Ishxan's mum.

Monday

Today was spent in the AIESEC Armenia office, sending off emails and planning out various parts of setting up the LC. I worked on a few things for AIESEC Bristol, had to be done but not very interesting.

At about 6 the TM team showed up for their first briefing, which the MC VP TM* ran partly in English (so I could understand) and partly in Armenian for the difficult bits. Everyone seemed enthusiastic and ready to get recruiting.

After this we had a member meeting, with all the Armenian AIESECers, where the new LCP* of AIESEC in Yerevan was announced. I wish Sargis lots of luck, and look forward to working with him over the summer!
When someone gets elected in AIESEC we throw water on their head. Not sure why.

*Management Committee, run AIESEC Armenia, not allowed to be called National Committee as this is illegal in some countries like Cambodia. All MC members in Armenia are graduates who are working part time for a company and part time for AIESEC.

*Local Committee, AIESEC committee for one university or area, made up of President, Vice President for each functional team, and team members. All of whom are students.

*Management Committee Vice President of Talent Management

*Local Committee President, what I am in Bristol

1 comment:

Sara said...

all of this sounds terribly important. but it also sounds as though you're having a good time!

i am slightly disturbed by you spreading the bratisla boys fever though.

Post a Comment